Sunday, August 31, 2008

One Tree Hill: One More Time

I just finished watching the season 5 of One Tree Hill on dvd (pirated, sorry Papa Edu). I have been finding time to do this, thanks to the long weekend I was able to finish the whole season. Actually this season wasn't as long as the last 4 so I got it done and over with during the weekend.

Season 5 was more of a fit for me right now because it focused on the characters' lives after college. Unlike the other 4 seasons, it was mostly high school life, even if the actors don't look like high school students. I have watched the fast forward over the net - the fast forward was an overview of season 5 so that you will have a better understanding when the season starts.

Four years after college the Tree Hill guys were doing their stuff, pursuing their passion and making their dreams come true. But at one point they all realized that they will be happier if they go back to Tree Hill and make their dreams come true there.

I can totally relate. I always look back and asked myself "What if after graduation I went home and started my career there?" Truly, there's no place like home but I know I wouldn't have learned and matured this much if I went home. No regrets.

The best episode, for me, in that season was episode 18, the season ender. It was where Marvin was given the big break by the TV station he's working for. He was covering the Ravens basketball game and captured all the drama during the game, first hand. He's got the story that could bring him a step closer to his dreams. But he chose not to tell story. Why? Because all the drama involved his friends and their reputations. Obviously, friendship mattered to him even if he ended up doing all the dirty work in the station because he told the station manager he didn't get the story.

Loyalty in friendship, existing but rare. I wish Marvin is my friend - someone who'll stick with me and can never be swayed by money, power and popularity.

I've had lots of Marvins in my life - true friends,that is. But I wish for more...yeah, that's my wish-more Marvins please Lord.

Happy birthday to me.

No comments: