Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dirty

“Don’t work for the government. There’s so much politics in there.” As an Iskolar ng Bayan I used to hear these words from people around me but 8 years and 4 months after graduation I have come to a realization that dirty politics doesn’t only exist in the government agencies (the Philippine government to be specific) but also in private corporations.

My parents have always encouraged me to work for the government. I come from a place where working for the government was like a trend or a status symbol but to me it wasn’t appealing. Instead, I applied for a corporate job in a private company thinking that private companies don’t have the kind of politics government offices have, dirty politics.

That was how I see things before…before I started climbing the corporate ladder. I became a middle manager at the age of 23. I have only worked for 2 years and it was during that time that I had my first taste of office politics – to me then it was just office politics. I wish I could dwell on the details of how politics got into my senses but I know it will only bore you.

Moving on…I recently had another bout with office politics. Back then it was just office politics for me but now 6 years after my first encounter with politics I already call it dirty office politics – I didn’t know it can be so dirty. It has caused me sleepless nights and has stressed me out big time. I am not stressed about the issues involved I am so stressed in holding my sanity and my temper. As much as possible I don’t want to deal with these “dirty politicians” but they just get into your nerves and then to your blood stream and to the other parts of your body! They suck your energy and enthusiasm. They start to kill your career, your dreams.

I made a lot of thinking on how to get rid of them or at least make them stop. I have thought of confronting them but as it is in the government no matter how many times you bring the “dirty politicians” to senate for an inquest nothing really happens. I have thought of resigning but I have signed a non-compete agreement and I know it will be difficult to change careers at this time of the year. I have even thought of hiring assassins – just kidding! All peaceful options were explored in my mind but at a certain point I know it won’t work out

Last night as I lay in bed looking at my son I was reminded of the reasons why I work hard. I work hard for the future of my son, of my family and it would be unfair to them if I start to get destructed because of these “dirty politicians”. NO! I won’t let these “dirty politicians” take our dreams away. Quoting Gandhi “No one can hurt me without my permission”, I am not giving them the permission to hurt me or my family.

I will fight them not by force or power. I will endure. I just need to hang on a little more on my sanity and my temper and if worse comes to worst I can always retreat gracefully.

No comments: