Monday, May 4, 2009

Pilipino Ang Lahi Ko


Yesterday the world stopped for the greatest fighter in the world, Manny Pacquiao.
We were driving along the slopes of Baguio with the radio tuned to AM frequency to monitor Pacman's fight when my mother in law asked us who our bet was. It didn't surprise me that all of them wanted Hatton to win. I was the only one cheering for Pacman (although few minutes before the fight started my father-in-law declared that he has changed is mind so that makes 2 bets for Pacman. Lance was supposed to be pro Pacman but since he's is a minor his vote didn't count!).

I was outnumbered but outside the four walls of the van we were riding I know millions were rooting for Pacman. So after 2 rounds (which is kinda bitin) he did not disappoint his fans – he never did. I was smiling at Hubby and said “ See I told you!” Hubby was lucky I didn't agree that we will bet a month's salary or else he will be poor for the rest of the month. Ha ha ha

I am a fan of Pacman – the boxer (let's make this clear – the boxer NOT the action star, not the commercial model and most especially not the singer!). I have been watching his fights since he started his boxing career through the TV show “Blow by Blow”. Thanks to poor programming of channels in our province before, I was forced to watch this very physical sport with my Tatay and my brother. Looking back, he was stick thin but there were already signs that he will be great.

I will always be a fan of Pacman – the boxer, because he is a picture of perseverance. It may sound cheesy but he if you try to know more of his life he has shown that someone from down there could rise up and become great through perseverance and discipline. He loved his profession and so boxing loved him back. This may not be true to all but Pacman has given hope to the masses, that someday, somehow, they will rise and conquer all the difficulties they are facing.

I will always be a fan of Pacman because he is a bisdak and most of all he is a Filipino. Let us be happy and be proud that a Filipino has achieved so much and has shown the world that we are not just a third world country but a country of great fighters. As Pacman's song goes “ Pilipino, Pilipino ang lahi ko.”


Let us be proud to be Filipino. Let us be proud of Pacman.

2 comments:

konsuy said...

i am proud that pacman can now complete english sentences. not that i want him to be englisero pero it tells a lot about his quest to better himself always. i did not like boxing not until pacquiao joined the sport. he rocks.

VEMBINA said...

he is definitely the greatest boxer ever! lets just hope that he wont waste his greatness,time and money in politics.