Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lessons Learned

One of the many lessons learned from Ondoy is the way I view material things. You see during the floods these rich people were not able to save their cars, their mansions, their expensive bags and designer shoes.

This made me think. I may not be rich but I make life complicated by having 2 sets of make up kits, different variants of shampoo, different brands of cologne and the list just goes on and on. The Ondoy tragedy made me realize the need to simplify my life – literally.

It made me realize that I am blessed and that I should do something good about it. It made me realize that buying a new compact is shelling out money that can feed a whole family for the whole week or even more. Or buying a new shade of lipstick can already be a day’s wage of a lowly employee.

Ondoy has really opened my eyes. I don’t need a lot. I just need to have enough so that others may have some. Few days after Ondoy’s wrath I opened my closet and took out all the clothes that I no longer wear. Clothes that I kept for some sentimental reasons and with the hopes that I will be a size 7 again. I gave it all. Now, my closet can breathe. What remained are the clothes that I wear regularly.

The activity was liberating. I felt good after. I felt few pounds lighter. I don’t know, it must be the happiness of sharing or it must be the feeling of freedom, the feeling of letting go.

As they say, you have to give to be able to receive. Let us be thankful for our blessings and the best way to show gratitude is to share. And don’t forget to keep it simple.

No comments: